The San Diego Christian baseball team won the first regular-season GSAC championship in school history and will be the top-seeded team. The Hawks will now host the 4-team double-elimination 2014 GSAC Baseball Tournament, May 1-3.
The Master's College that finished just one game behind the Hawks will be the No. 2 seed. Vanguard returns to the GSAC Tournament for the first time since 2010 and will be the No. 3 seed. Westmont will be the No. 4 seed in its second post-season appearance in 17 years.
The tournament schedule is listed below with links to the bracket and live video and stats.
GSAC Baseball Tournament Bracket
Live Streaming Video Live Stats
Thursday, May 1
9:00 am - Game 1 - #2 Vanguard def. #3 The Master's, 1-0 (11 inn.) - Box Score
- Vanguard won the pitchers' duel when John Schwer hit a double to score the game-winning run in the top of the 11th inning. Vanguard's Eddie Rivera pitched 9 innings allowing just 3 hits and striking out 7 before Roberto Johnson came in for the final 2 innings to earn the win.
12:00 pm - Game 2 - #1 San Diego Christian def. #4 Westmont, 6-2 - Box Score
- Cade Gotta hit a 2-run homer in the bottom of the seventh inning and Mark Vasquez pitched effectively for 6.1 innings as host San Diego Christian defeated Westmont.
3:00 pm - Game 3 - Westmont def. The Master's, 6-3 - Box Score
- GSAC Pitcher of the Year Russell Harmening earned the win and Hunter Christenson got the save, while the Westmont offense scored 3 runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and went on to win the elimination game.
Friday, May 2
12:00 pm - Game 4 - San Diego Christian def. Vanguard, 22-9 - Box Score
- San Diego Christian was down 6-0 after 2 innings, but exploded for 8 runs in the third, 7 in the sixth and 6 more in the eighth to win decisively and advance to the championship game Saturday at noon.
3:00 pm - Game 5 - Westmont def. Vanguard, 17-7 - Box Score
- Westmont's Alex Bush was the winning pitcher and also hit a home run, while Will Barring hit a home run in each of his first 2 at-bats and added a double later. Both players had 4 RBI as Westmont advances to the GSAC Championship Game.
Saturday, May 3
12:00 pm - Game 6 - Westmont def. San Diego Christian, 17-11 - Box Score
- Westmont scored 13 runs over a three-inning span, beginning in the sixth, to overcome a 6-4 deficit and defeat San Diego Christian, 17-11. The win means the "if necessary" game will be played and the two teams will square off in the tournament final. The winner will receive the league's automatic qualification berth into the NAIA Tournament.
4:10 pm - Game 7 - Westmont def. San Diego Christian, 13-5 - Box Score
- Westmont broke open the GSAC championship final game with three runs in the fifth and sixth inning, going on to defeat San Diego Christian, 13-5, and claim their first GSAC Tournament title.