NAIA Game of the Week – No. 1
No. 4 Cal State San Marcos (18-1, 0-0 AII) at No. 5 Concordia (Calif.) (13-2, 0-0 GSAC)
Friday, Jan. 10 | 7 p.m. PST | CU Arena (2,400) | Irvine, Calif.
Live Stats | Live Video – Provided by Concordia
· A top-five battle in the state of California ensues as fourth-ranked Cal State San Marcos visits No. 5 Concordia (Calif.). The Cougars play in the Association of Independent Institutions conference, while Concordia is a member of the Golden State Athletic Conference.
· In the all-time series, the Eagles own a 4-1 advantage over Cal State San Marcos. However, Cal State San Marcos won the last meeting on Nov. 26 by an 88-82 count in San Marcos. De'End Parker led five Cougars in double figures with 23 points -- he carries a 19-game stretch of scoring in double-figures.
· In the brief series history, the home team has won each meeting. In Irvine, Concordia is 2-0 against the Cougars and have won by an average margin of 12 points.
· Both teams are riding lengthy win streaks, with the Cougars at nine-straight and Concordia at eight in-a-row. The streak for Cal State San Marcos is the second longest active mark behind the 13-gamer by Dalton State (Ga.).
· Cal State San Marcos is playing in its first road game since Dec. 7 at Hope International (Calif.), which happened to be the team's last loss.
· Concordia has won its last 11 games at CU Arena, dating back to Jan. 26, 2013. This season, the Eagles are 4-0 at home and have won by an average margin of 24 points. Cal State San Marcos is 5-1 away from its home arena this year.
· The No. 4 ranking for Cal State San Marcos is the highest in school history. Overall, the Cougars have owned a Top 25 ranking in the last 16 polls. They started the season in the No. 12 position.
· The Cougars have reached at least 90 points in six of their last seven games. As a team, they rank No. 15 in the NAIA in scoring offense (88.9). The season-high came in the 113-80 win against San Diego Christian on Dec. 20.
· Balanced scoring has been a key for Cal State San Marcos with De'End Parker (18.6 ppg) leading a group of four players to average in double-figures. Malcolm Lemmons is tops on the team in rebounding (5.3) and ranks third in scoring (14.0).
· Concordia, the 2012 national champion, has reached at least 20 wins in each of the past seven seasons. Under the leadership of coach Ken Ammann, the Eagles have averaged over 29 victories during that span.
· Heading into 2013-14, Coach Ammann stands No. 17 on the Division I wins list with 338.
· Concordia is known for its defense and taking care of the ball; the team ranks third in the NAIA in turnover margin (+8.2), seventh in steals per game (12.5) and ninth in scoring defense (66.1).
· Montreal Harris is second in the scoring column (12.3). Stephen Grosey grabs a team-best 5.1 rebounds per contest.
· At halftime, the 2013 National Championship Softball team from Concordia will be honored in a ring ceremony. The title was the first in Eagle softball history.