GSAC Rivals No. 3 Biola (Calif.) and No. 11 The Master's (Calif.) clash in the NAIA Match of the Week.
• No. 3 Biola (Calif.) and No. 11 The Master's (Calif.), both Top 15 teams, will meet in a Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) showdown on Bross Court on Oct. 26.
• The NAIA Volleyball Match of the Week is selected by the fans via the official NAIA Facebook page – Play NAIA. Match of the Week voting begins Wednesday mornings with the winner being announced Thursday at Noon CDT. Click HERE
to visit the Play NAIA Facebook page.
• Both teams have been victorious in their games entering the Match of the Week. Biola won its last match vs. No. 22 Columbia (Mo.) on Oct. 19 and The Master's has won its past two matches.
• When the teams last met, Biola defended its home floor, winning 3-1 (25-19, 25-15, 19-25, 25-10) on Sept. 21. Three Biola players recorded double-digit kills in the match: Alyssa Mason (14), Amy Weststeyn (10) and Joclyn Kirton (10). Setter Gracee Gallarda tallied 44 assists for the Eagles, one of five 40-assist matches on the season for the senior.
• By winning the third set, The Master's broke a streak of six-straight sweeps by Biola. The Mustangs have not beaten Biola in the past five regular seasons and have taken only two sets from the Eagles during that stretch.
• Both teams are within striking distance of the GSAC Championship, a title than has been won by Concordia (Calif.) in each of the past two seasons. The Eagles are 17-1 and a perfect 7-0 in conference this year, but will have to face The Master's (Nov. 12) and Biola (Nov. 16) in their final two regular-season matches.
• Biola sits at second in the GSAC (6-1) with The Master's right behind (5-2).
• On the year, Biola is 8-2 in non-home matches, including a 2-1 mark in true away contests. Both of the Eagles losses came over the past two weeks against the top two teams in the NAIA: No. 2 Concordia (Oct. 12) and No. 1 Texas at Brownsville (Oct. 18).
• At home, The Master's is 4-1 on the year, with the lone loss coming against Concordia on Oct. 8.
• Biola began the season at No. 4 in the Preseason Top 25 and has been ranked No. 3 since Poll 2 of the regular season.
• The Master's was No. 9 in the Preseason Poll and had been ranked as low as No. 22 before climbing back to No. 11 in this week's poll.
• Biola ranks among the Top 25 teams nationally in assists per game (6th, 12.75), kills per game (9th, 13.64), block per game (12th, 2.38), and hitting percentage (14th, .256). The Master's is 14th in the NAIA in service aces per game (2.05).
• Biola is led by junior middle hitter Weststeyn, who ranks among the NAIA leaders in hitting percentage (3rd, .421), blocks per game (29th, 1.05) and service aces per game (48th, .47). Weststeyn is one of three Eagles with over 150 kills on the season (174) and is joined on the list by Mason (173) and Kirton (180). Biola setter Gallarda ranks 8th in the nation in assists per game (10.9).
• The Master's is led by senior outside hitter Sam Dougherty who has a team-high 306 kills on the season. No other Mustang has even half as many kills. Dougherty ranks among the Top 25 in the NAIA in kills per game (6th, 4.25) and service aces per game (23rd, .53).
• Biola has produced two GSAC Players of the Week: setter Gallarda (Sept. 23) and libero Tara Rallis (Oct. 21). Outside hitter Dougherty earned the conference honor for The Master's (Sept. 30).Some information courtesy of Biola and The Master's Sports Information Departments
• For a complete look at the NAIA national statistical leaders, click here.Looking Ahead to the National Championship
• For the sixth-straight year, Sioux City, Iowa, will play host to the 34th annual NAIA National Championship. The final site event will take place Dec. 3 – 7 at the Tyson Events Center.
• The National Championship Opening Round will occur Nov. 23 with 12 matches going on at various campus sites. Those 12 winners will meet up with the top 12 seeds, who earned an Opening Round bye, for a 24-team national championship final site event in Sioux City.
• The 36-team National Championship Opening Round field will be announced Nov. 17.
• On Oct. 24, two title sponsors were named: CNOS Foundation and J&L Enterprises Staffing and Recruiting.
• Tickets can be purchased at the door or in advance starting Oct 28. To purchase tickets, visit the Tyson Events Center Box Office or purchase at www.ticketmaster.com. Single session tickets are $10 - Adults; $5 - Children ages 6-18 and college students with ID. All-Session passes are $35 – Adults; $25 - Children, college students and teachers with ID.
List of NAIA Schools Participating in Volleyball – Click HERE
NAIA Volleyball Regular-Season Records – Click HERE
NAIA Volleyball Top 25 Winningest Coaches (Wins) – Click HERE
NAIA Volleyball Top 25 Winningest Coaches (Win Percentage) – Click HERE
NAIA Volleyball Top 25 Program Wins List – Click HERE
NAIA National Championship Information – Click HERE
NAIA Volleyball National Championship Records – Click HERE
By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information