No.7 Vanguard and San Diego Christian voted as final NAIA Women's Basketball Game of the Week for the 2012-13 season.
NAIA Game of the Week
No. 7 Vanguard (Calif.) (20-3, 10-3 GSAC) at RV San Diego Christian (Calif.) (16-13, 8-5 GSAC)
Saturday, Feb. 23 | 5:30 p.m. PST | Ryan Athletic Center | El Cajon, Calif.
Live Video | Live Stats - Provided by San Diego Christian
• Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) Tournament seeding is up for grabs as No. 7 Vanguard (Calif.) and San Diego Christian (Calif.) square off in the NAIA Women's Basketball Game of the Week. The Lions rest one one-game above third-place No. 11 The Master's (Calif.) with a 10-3 conference mark, while San Diego Christian is two games back at 8-5. No. 4 Westmont (Calif.) (13-0) claimed the outright GSAC regular-season title after knocking off Concordia (Calif.), 85-55, on Tuesday night.
• Vanguard (20-3), who up until two weeks ago had been ranked amongst the top four nationally all season, is 4-2 over its last six games, including a 76-65 loss at The Master's on Tuesday. The Lions only other losses this season came against Westmont on Jan. 15 and Feb. 4.
• The Lions own a 15-0 all-time record, including a 56-50 win on Jan. 8, against San Diego Christian, dating back to the 2005-06 season - San Diego Christian's inaugural year as a member of the NAIA.
• In this year's first meeting, Vanguard outscored San Diego Christian 14-2 at the free throw line while holding a 43-32 advantage on the boards to earn a 56-50 victory. The Hawks led 23-17 at the half, but 39 second-half points by Vanguard proved too much. Vanguard's Esther Timmermans led three Lions in double figures with 21 points, while the Hawks were led in scoring by Heather Serven's 21-point effort.
• The Lions showcase one of the NAIA's top rebounding teams, ranking amongst the top 10 nationally in rebounds per game (46.0), rebound margin (+10.5), offensive rebounds per game (16.5) and defensive rebounds per game (29.4).
• Timmermans leads the team and is 11th in the NAIA with a 10.2 rebounds per game average (235 total rebounds). She also is second on the squad in scoring at 15.3 points per game.
• Nicole Ballestero is the sparkplug for the Vanguard offense. She ranks fourth in the NAIA in points per game (20.9) and 14th in assists per game (5.0). Ballestero has scored in double-digits in all 23 games this season, including a season-high 39 points against Arizona Christian on Feb. 9.
• San Diego Christian's 8-5 record in the GSAC is its best single-season conference record since joining the league in 2005-06.
• The Hawks have won four of their last five games with their only loss coming against The Master's, 74-65, on Feb. 16.
• San Diego Christian ranks in the top 20 nationally in the following categories: 3-point field goals made (191), steals (329), blocks (103), steals per game (11.3), 3-point field goals made per game (6.6), blocks per game (3.6) and turnover margin (+3.1).
• Brittany Daniel's 13.5 points per game leads three Hawks averaging double figures. Daniel also leads the team in field goal percentage (51.8 percent), while ranking second in free throw percentage (73.8 percent), assists (64) and steals (45). San Diego Christian's other double-digit scorers are Heather Serven (12.6) and Chardonnay Shula (12.2)
• Serven ranks sixth in the NAIA in made 3-point field goals with 75. She has hit at least two 3-pointers in 20-of-29 games this season, including a season-high seven three's against Cal Maritime on Nov. 30.
• The GSAC is scheduled to begin its women's tournament on Feb. 25. For more information on all the NAIA Division I Women's Basketball conference tournaments, click here.
By Alan Grosbach, Manager of Communications and Sports Information, and Travis Rae, Communications and Sports Information Intern
Note - A special thanks to the Sports Information Departments at Vanguard and San Diego Christian for providing portions of the information above.